Water Infrastructure Improvement Act- Apply

Home / Grant Programs / Water Infrastructure Improvement Act / Water Infrastructure Improvement Act- Apply

Clean Water, Wastewater, Sewer or Water Quality Projects

Submit a grant application and sufficient documentation to EFC to be considered for a WIIA grant for a wastewater or sewer project, also known as a clean water project.

Grant Summary

Clean Water WIIA Application

Clean Water WIIA Application Instructions

Drinking Water Projects

Submit a grant application and sufficient documentation to EFC to be considered for a WIIA grant for a drinking water project.

Grant Summary

Drinking Water WIIA Application

Drinking Water WIIA Application Instructions

Application Requirements

If applying as a water or sewer authority, you must list the specific municipalities served by the project in sections A&C of your application.

  • SEQR: All applicants for EFC financial assistance are required to assess the environmental impacts of their projects pursuant to the State Environmental Quality Review (SEQR) Act. If you are seeking a grant without SRF financial assistance, a Short Form EAF, with or without a coordinated review, is acceptable for Unlisted Actions. See application instructions for more detail.
  • SERP: Applicants seeking State Revolving Fund financing also must comply with the applicable requirements of the federal State Environmental Review Process (SERP), which may be more stringent than the requirements under SEQR. To comply with SERP, unless the project is a Type II Action exempt from SEQR, it generally must be treated as a Type I Action under SEQR. 

Each applicant seeking financial assistance from EFC is required to consult with New York's State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), within the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation and obtain a letter from SHPO stating that based upon its review, it is SHPO's opinion that the project will have no effect upon cultural resources in or eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places, or that SHPO has no objection to the applicant proceeding with the planning of the projects, subject to SHPO's final approval and the applicant's compliance with any conditions of SHPO's approval. 

SHPO's online receipt and consultation is NOT sufficient to satisfy this requirement. You must obtain a letter from SHPO indicating that the project will have no effect upon cultural resources in, or eligible for inclusion in, the National Register of Historic Places. Under some circumstances, SHPO may issue a conditional letter allowing the project to proceed with design, but no construction activities, which is acceptable for purposes of application.

For more information regarding SHPO, click here.

If debt will finance any portion of the project, a bond resolution must be adopted establishing the applicant's legal authority to issue debt for the project, as well as establishing a plan of finance for the total cost of the project. A bond resolution of the governing body of a municipality that establishes the municipality's legal authority to issue debt for a specific project. The form and content of, and procedures for adopting, a bond resolution are prescribed by the New York State Local Finance Law. An applicant seeking EFC financial assistance should consult with a bond counsel for assistance in drafting and adopting a valid bond resolution. 

If no debt is being used to finance any portion of the project, a board resolution is necessary that authorizes the undertaking of the project and the obligation of funds for the project. A board resolution is a motion or formal proposition adopted by an entity's governing body setting forth the intent of that body. An applicant seeking EFC financial assistance must submit a certified copy of a resolution that authorizes, at a minimum: undertaking of the project and the maximum total cost of the project; expenditures for the project, including identification of any non-municipal source of funds; obligation of funds necessary to meet any required local match, including any cash and/or in-kind services; and application to EFC for financial assistance. The resolution must also designate a representative of the applicant who is authorized to sign the funding agreement with EFC and any associated documents.

If the applicant is issuing debt for the project and has adopted a bond resolution, a separate board resolution may not be necessary.  If the applicant is issuing debt for the project and has adopted a bond resolution, a separate board resolution may not be necessary. Please consult with your local counsel to assist in determining what resolution(s) are required for your particular project. 

An engineering agreement is a contract with a professional engineering firm for planning, design, and/or construction management services. Planning services involve the development of an engineering report. Design services result in the production of plans and specifications for the project. 

Municipalities are not required to submit an engineering agreement at the time of their WIIA and/or IMG grant application. However, if an engineering agreement exists, please submit it with the application as a sign of readiness to advance to construction with the project.

An acceptable engineering report is a document that comprehensively describes a water quality related problem, assesses alternatives for addressing and resolving the problem, including the "no action" alternative, recommends a solution, and includes the costs and implementation schedule for that solution. Engineering reports are prepared by a professional engineer licensed and registered to practice in New York State.

The Engineering Report Outline must be followed to ensure the report meets the requirements of an acceptable engineering report for wastewater infrastructure projects in New York State. The report should detail the analysis undertaken to assess the problem, ensuring that: 1) acceptable engineering principles, including applicable design criteria, were utilized in the evaluation; 2) the data justifies and supports the conclusions; and 3) the proposed solution has reasonable expectations of solving the problem.

CW Engineering Report Outline

 DW Engineering Report Outline

If applicable, documentation that a special improvement district for drinking water or wastewater has been established or expanded, or that the maximum amount to be expended for such district has been increased, and that approval has been obtained from the Office of the State Comptroller (OSC), as needed. This may only be applicable to towns and counties. 

The State Smart Growth Public Infrastructure Policy Act of 2010 is intended to augment the state's environmental policy by maximizing the social, economic, and environmental benefits of public infrastructure development while minimizing unnecessary environmental degradation, disinvestment in urban and suburban communities, and the loss of open space resulting from sprawl development. 


Only applicable if you're seeking an SRF loan with your WIIA grant.

SRF Financing Application

Complementing Your Grant with Financing from State Revolving Funds

You may submit an application for only the grant funded portion of a project. You are not required to obtain financing from the State Revolving Funds if you are awarded a grant. However, if you apply and your project is eligible, it will be listed on the Intended Use Plan (IUP) for the Clean Water State Revolving Fund or the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (SRF), as applicable. Projects that are included on the annual list of an IUP can apply for SRF financing. Interest-free, low-interest and market-rate financing is available from the SRF depending on project eligibility, scoring and ranking. You must have your project listed on the Annual Priority List of the current Intended Use Plan in order to receive financing from the State Revolving Fund programs. 

You do not need to be listed on the IUP to apply for a WIIA grant. If your project is already listed on an Intended Use Plan, your project is eligible for a WIIA grant even if it is below the "hardship" subsidy line.